Thursday, December 30, 2010

Learn Clicker Timing

I have learned that I seriously need more structure and basic training on clicking.  So I'm starting at  the very basics of clicker training which probably is to know when to click and how to reward.  I received very good feedback and suggestions from the Clicker Solutions Yahoo Group.

The following are suggestions I have received for practice with clicking.

Raegan Walter  wrote:
  I think there's a lot of pressure to get it all right at once, but
I've found it helps to split aspects of MY behavior instead of
expecting it all to be excellent right away. Everything is dog
training. :) So instead of trying to get your vocals right, your
clicks more precise, and your treat delivery faster, all while trying
to train at the same time, spend five minutes clicking a bouncing
tennis ball. The click-freeze-drop an M&M in a bowl for 25 M&Ms and
every one you get right you get to eat. <G>

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 9:35 AM, <Phyllis Dorrough > wrote:
  A trick I like to use to practice "clicking" is to watch a DVD with the remote
control in hand, and use the pause button to "click" behaviors. It helps me to
watch for signs of eminent behavior, and lets me look at how I've done --
allowing for the delay in the pause control, of course. And I can do it with my
dog laying by my feet without confusing the poor dog with a ton of clicks that
aren't related to his behavior. I can mute the sound and use just the visual as
well.
and

I usually use one of the dog training videos, so I'm actually able to click dog
behavior. Or something I recorded from TV, and I'll click during commercials,
especially ones I've seen before so I have an idea what behavior I can be
looking for.
 
On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Anne Delcos <> wrote:

One clicking exercise that I've tried- takes two people though- have
someone tap you on the shoulder- (they need to be positioned where you
cannot see them)- they tap you click- there should not be any set
pattern of tapping-

Hope this helps- anne


No comments:

Post a Comment