Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bathtime is easy!

 This isn't the best picture to show you but I gave Baron a bath for the first time today and it was easy because I used a clicker.

I first had him learn how to get into a tub.  I started by stepping into the tub myself and encouraging him to put his front feet into the tub and C/T (clicking and treating) when he did.

After a few successful reps of this I upped the criteria and C/T for each progression into the tub.

I then told him to stay and stepped out of the tub and encouraged him to get out.  I then encouraged him to get back into the tub and C/T him for that.

We went a few rounds of in and out of the tub and being C/T.  It's now his new favourite game and you can see his confidence  each time he hopped into the tub and out again.

So now I add a new element.  Water!   I started the faucet going at a slow flow and we were back to square one where I had to be in the tub and C/Ting each progression he made but this time it was much faster because he got the game.

We did a few rounds again of in/out of the tub and C/Ting.

Next was to have him stay in the tub while I C/T and slowly increased the water flow.  I C/T each slight increase and lots of praise for him staying.  I let him drink the water from the faucet  and then grabbed a cup and dripped a bit of water on him and C/T him for that.

Each step was done slow and C/Ted and praised but we got it done and he seems to be a happy dog.

This bath round I made it quick and only washed his back and avoided his head.  I'll increase the criteria later on, maybe next week but I know I need to take this slow.

Afterwards we did a few more rounds of in/out of the tub so he wouldn't get the impression that each time I want him in the tub it would mean a bath.  At least I hope not ;)

BTW, I had a towel on the floor and in the tub to prevent him from slipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment